Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WELL, I’M FINALLY “POLISH” AGAIN

Well, it happened today…and I’m still accepting it. Yes, today I bought my winter boots and yes, they’ve got a hint of leopard print.

There, I said it.

But I’m figuring they’re fine because until it’s been a few months and I’ve completely lost touch with reality, they’ll be under my jeans (rather than in true Polish fashion – over the jeans or with a skirt). The thing is - I don’t have a full-length mirror so doing anything but the norm is really risky, especially with leopard print.

Other fun things from today

  • shopping for special stuff for special people back home
  • more groceries
  • a surprise call from an exhausted but loving Janek
  • pizza at the local joint (which wasn’t bad and even had a polite teenager who could understand enough English that I didn’t get ketchup on my pizza and was able to take “home” leftovers in a box).
  • my very first broken English/broken Polish conversation with my great aunt Leska (whom until this morning I had never spoken with) resulting in an (I think) agreement that I would call Monday to tell her what time my train would be coming in to see her on Wednesday (can you believe I’m finally going to meet her??) And oddly enough, I had a dream last night about my grandmother (her sister) and took it as a good sign. I really hope I can visit there often.
  • a definite date and time when I will finally get Internet in my flat (next Tuesday at 1:00pm, Polish time).
  • found out that my friend in Opole is going to some kind of church pilgrimage thing on Sunday with her family and she’s invited me to join them. There’s an afternoon Mass and then they have traditional Polish pea soup. I’m in.

Oh yea, and I almost forgot about my classes. I was really nervous about my proficiency class last night but they turned out to be my best age group (16-18) for the most part so that’s good. I just hope we can trudge through the textbook and I can be “demanding enough” for them (it seems my school is known for being demanding…unlike me). The good thing is also that I’m starting to wonder if maybe high school teaching wouldn’t be a good fit for me. I’ve got a few more months to feel it out (Heather was right last year – the classes I loved in the beginning ended up being my worst by the end). My other class last night was five married women who seemed really eager to learn and were concentrating quite well on the textbook. Tomorrow I have three back-to-back night classes but I think two of them have the same textbook so I should only have to plan one lesson (let’s hope because it’s nearly 9:00 pm, I haven’t done anything yet, and I just remembered that I have two morning classes and two night classes on Friday).

So, this weekend seems to be as follows (if I don’t leave Friday night):

Saturday


9am-leave Debica (by train)
2pm-arrive in Opole (yea…kind of a long trip)
2-3pm-shop at the thrift shops in Opole as somehow, I brought NO clothes
3pm-meet Dorota for a late lunch
5pm-ish-meet Elwira, Sylwia, Marta and probably Gosia and Jerry for drinks
late night-crash at my girl Marta’s place and talk girl talk

Sunday

8:30am-leave with Roma and her family for High Mass
2pm-ish-leave for Debica

Oh, and another bonus – so far all my students from last year have passed their exams!

No comments: