Sunday, October 21, 2007

FAMILY, BEETS, AND KARAOKE



Whew! I apologize for not writing but Jon and I have been taking advantage of free conversations on Skype. I am so glad he's finally back from Maui and we can talk at somewhat more convenient times.

So, as you already know, I went to Rzeszow this past week and finally met my Aunt Leska. It was awesome. She greeted me with a hug and a kiss and I immediately felt that she was family. When we got to her house, she made me a big bowl of borscht and then about 12 pierogies. Not wanting to be rude, I somehow finished it all.

We then headed upstairs where she showed me the room that Jon and I could stay in when he visits (one of the first questions I was asked was, "Masc chopa?" which means, "Do you have a boyfriend?") and then we sat down for cakes and pictures. We had a great time attempting to communicate and I was pleasantly surprised at my ability to understand and speak with her (as limited as it was). She showed me a million pictures of her immediate family and their children, and even some of mine that my grandfather must have sent her.

After that, my (fourth?) cousin came over and we hung out and watched TV for a while. She would try to explain what was going on and I would try and understand. I then remembered my camera and had David (my cousin) take a picture of her and I. She got so excited as we pushed in for the picture that she grabbed my cheek and said to me, "Oh, moja Ilonka!" ("my Ilona!")

She told me that I could come over whenever I wanted and that all I had to do was call her and then take a taxi or the bus. I told her that I would definitely be back for All Saint's Day but that I might come earlier with a friend to go shopping and that if that was the case, I would call her and let her know. She smiled big and asked me if it would be with "twoj chopa" (your boyfriend) as it seems she's very excited to meet him. I told her again, that he wouldn't be coming until February but that we would definitely see her. I can't wait.

So yesterday, instead of hiking (it snowed here!), Christine (my friend from school that I am SO lucky to have met) and I headed to Rzeszow. We were both greeted with hugs and kisses from Leska (I even got another later with an exclaimed, "Oh Ilonka - Kocham cie!" - "Oh, Ilona, I love you!") and a bowl of homemade chicken soup (and when I say homemade, I mean she killed one of her chickens and made this soup). Then she stuffed us with chicken cutlets, potatoes and beets and continually yelled at Christine to eat. It was great. We spent a lot of time with my (frightened by the strange speaking people) 3 year old cousin, Adrian, who was fascinated by Leska's cat. It took him a while but he finally warmed up to us and by the end of the visit, was able to (after being coaxed to do it) give me and Christine a kiss on the cheek (although it was followed by him quickly wiping his mouth off).

At around 2:30, we headed out with David to do some shopping at the local shopping center. He patiently waited as Christine and I spent some money and by 5:00, we were done. We headed to a fabulous local pub and decided to get some drinks. We had beers, talked and then around 9:00, headed to the karoake bar down the street.

A glass of wine and a few beers later, I was somehow coerced by Christine into singing my first karoake song ever - Bon Jovi's "Shot Through the Heart." At first, I think I may have been into it but by the time the part where he just repeats, "a bad name" about 5 million times, I had time to realize what I was doing and I wanted out. I begged Christine, not caring that I was talking into a microphone, to let me sit back down and just watch. She refused. We struggled through the later-agreed-upon horrible karaoke song choice and were finally able to relieve everyone by returning to our seats.

But I'm glad she made me do it.

So now, Christine is on her way over to join me in nursing a barely-there hangover with Leska's homemade golambki, a big container of ice cream and Grey's Anatomy.

1 comment:

Christine said...

we were karaoke stars :) but next time we will pick a better song. Hey, we had to give the audience a little rest from the big tall guy who very much wished he was on the polish version of american idol. (that would probably be called polish idol).