Friday, October 05, 2007

ME + DEBICA = EH, WE’LL SEE…

Well, I’m back – back in Poland that is. Debica isn’t much like Opole. Opole was a big(ger) city with a definite city center. Debica’s city center would be hard to spot if it wasn’t pointed out to you but nonetheless, I think this quaint little town is gonna grow on me. It’s small but it’s cute. There are tons of flowers, even at this point in the year, and a lot of colorful little shops (my favorite, even if they don’t have anything in them that I would ever want).

I have moved everything in but my clothes (why is that always the last thing I do??) and feel pretty good about the flat. It’s a fairly decent sized living area which I’ve managed to manipulate into a sorta-kinda bedroom with a little living chair facing the TV – ya know, to really separate the two quarters. The shower is tiny but nothing I haven’t faced before (although never for more than two weeks). I just washed my dishes and found that I don’t actually have a counter (the mini-fridge top was cleverly disguised as one by the food that was on it when I came in). And although I don’t have a counter, and I have to bend at the knees to pick up the soap in the shower (it’s the size of a phone booth – which I might add, still exists in Debica), I feel okay. Like I said, there was food on the fridge (and in it!) when I got here – it really seems that the school wants me to feel comfortable, which is great. The secretary even asked if I needed money to buy some things at the store. What a change from last year.

On a more personal note, something I’m not usually so willing to share on this site, Janek just called. I don’t know how but somehow I was able to not cry when I first heard him. I’m never this emotional. I had to hold back when I first met my new director of studies too; just the sheer emotional stress of the day and just, well, everything, is making me into a blubbering (albeit I’m trying to hold it in) idiot. So now, I’m doing everything I can to avoid going to bed as I know I’m going to just stare at the wall and wonder why the hell I left. I’m a strong woman, yes, but I just hope I don’t end up being a stupid one.

No comments: