Sunday, April 22, 2007

VODKA FROM THE TAP AND AN AERIAL EAGLE TO BOOT

So it's been a few days. And I haven't really been in the "writing in my blog" mood but I decided to buckle down this afternoon. I really have nothing else to do anyhow.

Got to get a tour of my student's work the other day. It's a plant that manufactures faucet taps. It was pretty freaking cool actually. I totally felt like I was on the Mister Roger's show or something. They actually make the molds from compacted sand that is then put into a stove and has hot brass poured over it. Then, they somehow get the sand out of there. Totally cool.

Went to Kluczbork yesterday for a party. My student got married a few weeks ago and had a small gathering of friends to drink vodka and celebrate. It was nice. A TON of kielbasa and desserts and chocolate and cabbage. And the way they seemed to be drinking was just a shot of vodka with a chaser of some kind of juice. It seemed like every 20 minutes or so, someone would pour everyone a shot and then stand up. Everyone would stand up and sing or clink glasses and then drink. And you'd think it would slow down as the night went on but it seemed to pick up. My friend Susan was with me, and she doesn't drink, and this concept was extremely difficult for everyone to grasp. They thought she just meant that round so then every other time, they would go to pour her a shot. Or they'd ask her, "do you want a drink with some vodka or just a little vodka with some juice??" It was a little funny when she doesn't drink and those are her choices.

Also got a short Polish history lesson from one of the party patrons. Turns out there's a neighborhood in Wroclaw that's built in the shape of an eagle when you look at the aerial view. Very cool. I guess it was built by the Germans, to symbolize the German eagle, but it's more similar to the Polish eagle. (REALLY difficult to see a difference...)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is the Polish eagle (according to google...)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
and this is the German one.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Purely by chance that the Polish one is ten times bigger than the German. I swear.

No comments: