Thursday, April 05, 2007

FLIP FLOPPIN' MORNING





I woke up this morning with my bedroom light on. Extremely weird. So I'm wondering how I went to bed without turning it off; I was reading. I proceed to look down next to my bed and there's my book. So I flip through it and find that there's no bookmark in it; it's still next to my head. It seems that last night, I was so exhausted that I completely fell asleep in the middle of reading - so much so that I dropped my book and didn't even hear it - and then slept through the entire night without realizing my light was on.

On top of all that, I went to check my phone for the time. There was a message from Peter. So I wrote back and then went to the bathroom. Of course, he called. So I couldn't call back and I texted him asking if it was him. He wrote back yes and asked if he could try again. I texted, or went to text back, but alas, no minutes left on my phone.

Now one of the things we, as native speakers, have noticed of the Polish culture, is that you don't go out of the house without looking presentable. Unless you're a drunk, homeless or an English-speaker, you don't even think about leaving the house in anything resembling pajamas or a sweatsuit. So I had to suck it up, throw on some dirty jeans, my flip flops and a pair of sunglasses and head to the shop below my flat. Of course the girl with no patience for non-Polish speakers is working so I put my half-awake, already bad Polish to the test and ask for what I need.

What a morning.

I'm still sore from all the bowling I did on Tuesday night. I went to my class on Wednesday morning (they're the same guys that I went bowling with on Tuesday) and told them how sore I was. They claim they're not sore at all - I told them it was because they lost.

To boot with the fabulous night of bowling, I got a ride home from my student on his motorcycle. Now granted, it was slightly illegal with him not wearing a helmet and all but we made it back to my flat, safe and without a ticket, and it was great. I'm sorry I didn't ride my father's motorcycle when he had it but for some reason, it didn't really interest me then.

Easter is finally sorted. Peter is coming in on Saturday and I'm planning on sitting around and renting a movie (English movie - Polish subtitles). Then church on Sunday morning and I'm making dinner for everyone (okay, well 3 people...including me) on Sunday. Then it's off to Zakopane for the day and then Krakow that night. Then, shopping and Aushwitz on wet Monday and home that night.

No comments: