Monday, April 09, 2007

EASTER WEEKEND


Went to Aushwitz and Birkenau yesterday. Truly an amazing experience that just seems to sit with you.

One thing I didn't realize is that Birkenau is what you see in most photos and movies; it's what you see in Schindler's List. Aushwitz is now more a museum of pictures and writings about the war, although it does have its share of nightmarish exhibits.

Above are the photos I took while there. I apologize to anyone that isn't prepared to see them; I tried to make a link but wasn't having much luck.

Reading about the war and wanting to learn more about Clandestine (the underground group of artists and writers that wanted to keep learning and educating during their incarceration) has definitely inspired me for school again. I've also been researching where I might want to teach next year, if I don't stay in New York...which I'm not sure I can now. Thinking Africa but I don't know that I'll have the money to get a ticket back to Poland to finish my masters in February, which is why I'm not doing central or south America. We'll see. I'm always changing my mind. I've also been sitting here looking at PhD programs and where I would want to study and what I would want to study. I just can't seem to narrow it down and figure out what I would want to submerge myself in for two years, and then defend to a panel. It freaks me out - until I look at pictures of current students. They look fairly normal.

No comments: