Thursday, March 01, 2007

NOUN: JEALOUSY....ADJECTIVE: JEALOUS

Today we discussed noun and adjectives. I don't normally teach on Thursday mornings but one of the teachers, a friend that I really will miss, is jumping on a train to Warsaw tonight. She'll be heading out of Poland on a plane, back to her home country, South Africa, tomorrow morning. She decided this yesterday.

My school does not know how to treat the teachers that it employees. I picked up this one class because honestly, I couldn't think of a quick reason why I couldn't (what am I doing at 7am...really?) and I could use the few extra zloty...if they actually pay me. My friend went to tell the school that her father is ill (this is true) and that she would be leaving the following day. The director at ILS replied, "your father is not ill." When my friend proceeded to tell her that he is in fact ill and that she only has one dad, our director had the audacity to reply, "yes, but they have a lot of new research for cancer these days." Unbelievable.

So my fellow colleague put in her resignation and decided, at the request of another teacher, to advise our director of just how unhappy her native speaking body is. The director didn't listen. She's had three native speakers resign in a matter of two months and she still doesn't get the picture. She would rather fight back and say she is not a certain way than to realize that obviously, something is not working right.

I wrote in the headline that I may be a bit jealous. Don't get me wrong with this though. Being here has taught me a lot. I feel like I've come more into my own than I would have dreamed of and I feel like I'm just waking up. But the thought of going home and seeing my family, and my friends, it's like Dorothy walking from the black and white to the color. This whole world that you already know, is somehow different now - brighter.

No comments: