Sunday, March 18, 2007

SINGIN' THE BLUES...LITERALLY

My roommate's gone to Wroclaw with her relatives so I am left here to spend a Sunday with myself. Which is what I normally do anyhow (I have a habit of locking myself in the kitchen and reading at the table) but it's different when there's nobody around. I forget during the week that when she's gone to a class, I can sing. I noticed today that I can't remember the last time I sang aloud (not counting the pathetic attempt at "Up On the Housetop" during my kid's Christmas lesson). I never sing anymore and when she stepped out that door today, something told me to put in a jazz cd and sing my little heart out. It was great.

I'm now working on a lesson plan for my students in Kluczbork. They want a lesson on jazz because they know I enjoy it. They couldn't be more awesome. So I've been putting it off because planning a lesson from scratch takes forever...and a day. They also want one on prohibition (they're fascinated by this occurence in US history), American government (I'm terrified of this lesson as I know nothing and I'm sure they know more already), and Al Capone and the mafia.

Got a comment on my last page from my friend Kimberly. To clear up any confusion, yes, I will be home this summer. My program is a two year program but it only requires me to be in Poland for two weeks, twice out of the year. Other than that, we should be teaching abroad for the remainder of the time but I'm finding this isn't an enforced rule. So yes, I will be home to rock a bachelorette party in Vegas and my girl Mary's wedding in September. But I'll be honest: although this is the "excuse" I hand fellow bohemians for why I'm going back to the states (you really do end up working an entire summer just for a return ticket back to Europe), I'd be coming home anyhow. I love NY.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

oh WOW! that's so close... how exciting. so you'll be home and at some point next year will have to go back for 4 weeks (2, 2 week trips?). what will you do when you return then?

awww yay, i can't believe i get to see my ilona girl soon! miss you!