Sunday, June 18, 2006

TEARS

This blog was originally handwritten sitting in the Warsaw airport.

When the plane landed, everybody started clapping. My friend Ranatta (that I met on the plane and am unsure if I'm spelling her name right) told me it happens every time - people are happy to have landed safely.

I looked out the window and thought about the simple appreciation of that gesture - and how these people are my heritage - and I was so proud. I had to look out the window and hold back my tears. Even as I write this three hours after landing, I'm starting to well up again. I've never even been to Poland before, I can't speak the language, and I don't know a soul here but yet somehow, I feel comfortable and at home. I love it.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

ilona, you've got me tearing up. i am SO proud of you. and sooo excited for you. enjoy these two weeks and i can't wait to read about your trip and hear about it when you return.

love you.