Sunday, December 24, 2006

WIGILIA

My first time in a hostel and I must admit - it feels awkwardly animalistic when you wake up in a room with 11 other people stirring in their sleep. Had an okay sleep though.

Yesterday went well. Got to walk the city for the entire day. I went to the Christmas market in the city center first. They had great performances. So cultural. There was a chorus of elderly Polish people singing carols, then a shopki reinactment of the birth of Jesus, and then children dressed as the three wisemen and an angel singing (well, it's more like yelling) Christmas carols. Everyone drinks the traditional warm mulled wine and watches while adults in costumes (one as a devil!) walk around and mingle with the crowd. Fabulous. After taking my time going to the shops in the market I headed to Kazimeriez, the Jewish area of Krakow. Took some pictures and went to the small market there (which mainly consisted of flower markets, a few men selling fresh carp and some vegetable stands), I headed to Wawel Castle. The "dragon's den" and the church were closed but I got to see some spectacular views of Krakow from the top of the hill (pictures to come soon, I promise).

The staff is currently getting ready to serve us Wigilia (Christmas Eve dinner) and I can't wait. Pierogies, pierogies, pierogies. Mmmmm... Then, on the 27th, it's back to Opole to start homework for Nowy Sacz. I could find a million things better to do though. (Well...maybe not in Opole but definitely in Krakow). But for now, can't wait to eat, be fat and lazy, and then play me some Scrabble.

Wesolych Swiat.

No comments: