Friday, December 15, 2006

CHRISTMAS IS COMING, THIS GOOSE AIN'T GETTIN' FAT

So Christmas is coming and I'm hinging on the decision of whether to play Christmas music and watch my Christmas dvd's for fear that I'll become more homesick than I need to be during this holiday season.

Shops in Poland don't seem to be as decorated as they are at home. In fact, they only just decorated the city center last week. A lot different than what I'm used to.

There's not much in the way of Santa's here either. Poles believe in a star or an angel bringing presents on Christmas Eve (Wigilia). Santa came on the 6th (St. Nicholas Day). The grocery stores are beginning to smell of a strong, fishy odor; the traditional Wigilia dinner consists of carp and herring, which they sell fresh in the shops. I've been told they take them home and cut off their heads after having them swim about in the bathtub.

Heading to Krakow for Christmas. Excited but nervous. I think that the lack of American Christmas carols has hindered my Christmas spirit and I'm hoping to just drift past the holiday and celebrate it in a more traditionally Polish way, thus dampening my strong wishes to be with my family for the holidays.

No comments: