Thursday, September 13, 2007

LIFE GOES ON IN DIFFERENT TIME ZONES

I am entirely bored at work right now and decided to see if I couldn't find a website for my old school in Kluczbork. Now, I LOVE Kluczbork and the people it inhabits (seriously, they're just friendlier) but on my looking for pictures of Kluczbork, I couldn't help but look up Opole (really I was just having fun attempting to read things in Polish again). So I stumbled on the Opole webcam that felt just weird, but fun, to watch.

First of all, it's totally dark there - which I recognize that there's a time difference but just forgot until I saw it.

Then, I see some guy rifling through something (a garbage can?) and just sat, staring at him - trying to remember what it is that is in that little pocket of the sidewalk and feeling so (weird? awesome?) that I have the ability to try and figure out something that's going on halfway around the world. Then I just sat there and looked at the lights (are they new?), remembered how many times I walked through that area (either past Volcano pizza where I shared pies and beers with friends, the cinema where I reveled in being able to understand what was on the screen, or the gallery where a co-worker had her big opening), thought about the shops there (and the speed I would be in and out of them for fear that someone might ask me a question I couldn't understand), and how above all, my life was still somehow oddly normal in that city.

No comments: