Tuesday, October 17, 2006

TREADING WATER

So I thought I was loving teaching, until I realized I wasn't actually teaching yet.

Last two weeks have been mostly icebreaker games and review - getting students to begin thinking in English again. Yesterday, I almost had a heart attack when my students began asking questions about words that I just couldn't seem to explain. I mean, I did but then when they didn't understand or didn't use it correctly in a sentence, I was stumped. And I just sat there like an idiot - all flustered and not knowing what to do.

I'm noticing that most students want vocab. Vocab, vocab, vocab. So that's good. Except I also have a workbook and textbook for most of my classes that I need to get through. On top of that, I'm trying to keep things (somewhat) organized for my own records and it's just not happening. In addition, we have to create a syllabus with the teacher we share the class with (classes are taught once by you and then by another teacher the next class). I have no idea when I'll do this - or even where to begin with it. Also, I think I overheard someone say that we're supposed to be giving a test every unit (which is about every week) and also homework every class (that obviously needs to be reviewed and/or corrected). I just feel like I can't keep my head on straight. I have about 10 classes a week and I want to make them fun too. But some are more conversation, some are pre-intermediate teenagers, some are business, some are one-on-ones. I don't know. Maybe I'm being too particular here (or "anal" as I taught my Certificate in Advanced English class the other day).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there to help you. You're going through everything that I went through last year. Everyone knows that teaching is hard, but nobody knows just how hard it is. I have lots of ideas if you want them...but mostly I think you just need to find your way, which will happen in time.

p.s. I still can't get through on the number you sent me. Anyone else having trouble? lumu.