Monday, October 30, 2006

HALLOWEEN WILL BE MISSED

I am currently honoring the absence of one of my most favorite holidays, Halloween. The best is that I get to do a bunch of "culture" lessons where I just do fun activities and tell the students all about the holiday. It's awesome - and so odd. Most of them (actually, I think all) have never heard of a haunted house or a haunted hayride. It's great to see their eyes light up when they begin to understand the concept. So although I'll be missing the actual holiday, it's kinda like I have a bunch of kids and am reliving the initial fun you have on Halloween, but all through their eyes.

In Poland, this time is actually a very somber one. Wednesday is All Saint's Day and consists of them going to the graves of their loved ones. Which makes me curious - why do we not have anything like that in the states?? Anyhow, they sell those big red lanterns in all the grocery stores and I can't wait to see the cemetaries all lit up. I'm heading to Czestochowa on Wednesday, which is one of the holiest cities in Poland-I'm told, and will hopefully have some pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think we have an "all saints day" written on our calendars, but we never really do anything about it. that IS totally sad. i'm interested to see your pictures.

i miss you ilona. glad you update so often i love reading it!!!