Friday, November 02, 2007

DOM



After spending so much time here, and dreaming of this since I was little, today finally came - today I saw the place my mother called home in Poland.

We spent the morning cooking and eating and at about 1:00, my great aunt Leska told me we were leaving to see my grandfather's old house. I grabbed all my cameras (yes, I brought two) and hopped in the van. We drove about 5 minutes and ended up down what I imagine used to be a dirt road (it's been paved since but is still only big enough for one car - the other has to wait for the one to go by) and Leska told me we were driving down the road my family used to walk to school on. I was enthralled. I wanted to get out and take pictures right there but I figured we were almost to the house.

It was quite a ways down but we finally reached it - a perfectly cozy-looking house at the end of the road, on the top of a hill my mother has often spoke of. I first stepped out of the van and looked at the vast field that used to be my grandfather's farm. Everyone was behind me and oblivious to the magnitude of the moment for me so, not wanting to totally embarrass myself, I quickly choked back the surfacing tears and rejoined my family. I couldn't believe I was there. The stories my mother has told me all have a place in my mind now. I looked at the fence she said she used to walk along, wondering if it was the same one. I saw my grandfather tending the farm. It was amazing. I wish I could've sat there for hours but it was cold and the others were waiting for me. They said I could take as long as I wanted but I felt a bit self-conscious being the sentimental sap that I am.

After almost an entire roll of film and digital pictures for the blog, we hopped in the van and headed to the cemetery. I visited my great grandmother's grave again (we went yesterday for All Saint's Day) and this time, Leska pointed out my great grandfather's grave. I was able to get some pictures for everyone back home, and say a few more prayers to those passed.

All in all, I had an amazing time with my family these past two days- both spending time with those that are here, remembering those that are no longer, and thanking God for the ones I will be returning to in a week.

No comments: